Peter RobertsSerial entrepreneurs & founder of Pure Gym
- Serial entrepreneur, mentor & investor
- Founder of Pure Gym
- Over 35 years experience in the property and leisure industry
One of the most interesting, exciting and potentially profitable things you can do as an entrepreneur is disrupt a big market, and that’s exactly what serial entrepreneur and investor Peter Roberts has done with Pure Gym.
Following extensive research into the fitness market, Peter spotted a gap for a low-cost, flexible gym chain at a time when the sector was dominated by mid to high end operators.
Founding Pure Gym in 2008, he started a business which removed the barriers to gym entry, with no lengthy contracts, low monthly fees and flexible 24-hour opening. Bringing together an experienced management team and raising initial investment through Private EIS funds, it took around 12 months to open his first two gyms in Manchester and Leeds and, since then, Pure Gym has been revolutionising the industry.
Prior to Pure Gym, Peter was a senior partner at Davis & Bowring Chartered Surveyors, before embarking upon an impressive entrepreneurial career in the property and leisure industry, building and growing a number of successful businesses:
- 1980 - launched The Langdale Group PLC, a European resort and hotel business, sold to Scottish & Newcastle with a 60% IRR.
- 1990's - co-founded Luminar Leisure Nightclubs, which floated in 1995. Launched Lazard Leisure Fund. Became a director of Dragons Health Clubs. Co-founded Countrystyle Inns, which was sold in 1995 for an IRR of 30%.
- 2001 - built and developed the Tulip Inn Manchester, before selling to Whitbread for 7.5 times the original investment.
- 2002 - co-founded Golden Tulip UK, which sold to Whitbread in 2007 for £45m, over 30% IRR.
Now retired as executive chairman of Pure Gym, Peter remains a non-executive director, and offers his experience to support and advise young growth companies.
"Great inspirational speaker with a powerful story. Peter Roberts gave an excellent overview of his experiences and what he learnt from them. Some very good and clear object lessons for entrepreneurs."
Areas of Expertise:
Motivation & Inspiration
Leadership, Performance & People
Business Strategy & Management
£1,000 - £2,500 + VAT
Please use the form below to send us your contact details and we will get back to you with further information about this speaker and others, which may also be of interest.